Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ramblings on Relativism

rel·a·tiv·ism (rĕl'ə-tĭ-vĭz'əm)
n. Philosophy
A theory, especially in ethics or aesthetics, that conceptions of truth and moral values are not absolute but are relative to the persons or groups holding them.

Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism. ... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and 'swept along by every wind of teaching,' looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards.
  • "We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith."" Pope Benedict XVI

  • I'm starting to understand this relativism. I see it among my friends on Facebook. Everything is relative to that particular person. We don't live their life. Who are we to judge them? This thinking frustrates me. This sort of thinking exhausts me and makes me want to cancel my Facebook page. People need absolutes. The bible makes that clear. God had to give us clear boundaries and whenever we chose to push those boundaries we hurt ourselves spiritually and sometimes physically through wars. Differences in people and cultures are beautiful and great opportunities to learn from each other but we need those clear boundaries of right and wrong.

    Another thing I have noticed about this tide of relativism is that everything is relative and all views must be viewed as acceptable and not criticized or challenged unless that belief is Christianity.  As a Christian you practically ruled the world all these years so sit down and shut up because you spew hatred with your bible verses seems to be the common chant.   As a Christian I can be called all sorts of names, spit on, pushed, you name it but if I quote the bible I'm accused of a hate crime. Its so ridiculous. So we are expected to bow to the god of relativism but are now persecuted for bowing to the One True God.

    Yep, I'm starting to understand this relativism and I'm clearly seeing the consequences of the widespread acceptance of this erroneous belief.  I'm afraid the world won't see the pain such a belief system will cause until its too late. I've said before I'm really of a simple mind. I've not read many great titles or encyclicals but it doesn't take a brilliant mind to see that the philosophy of relativism is just another doorway to hell.

    GOD BLESS

    2 comments:

    Divina Joy said...

    Wow, this is bravely written. I agree with you. But I beg of you not to cancel your facebook page. The Holy Father calls us to be a witness of our faith in the digital world and I think facebook is one of the great instruments to use online.

    Tabatha said...

    Thank you. I probably couldn't cancel my Facebook if I wanted to. I have friends and family that would probably never let me hear the end of it! It just gets mentally exhausting sometimes. Thank you!